Subject: Re: Recursive grep
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 11:47:06
>> Now when should we expect commits to fix "find" or "xargs" so that
>> it emits filenames enclosed in quotes so "egrep" doesn't barf?  Or
>> fixing "xargs" so that it handles quotes in filenames?

> der Mouse already has patches for this.  I would much rather see his
> patches applied than have -R added to grep.

Actually, I don't, on two counts.

One: instead of messing with quotes, my find and args normally use just
newlines, optionally using NULs, and abandon standards conformance (in
the case of xargs) for the sake of usefulness.

Two: my find and xargs are not patches to the NetBSD versions, nor
indeed to any other versions; they are from-scratch rewrites.  find I
rewrote because I wanted some things not otherwise available as far as
I knew; xargs I wrote because - at the time - there was nothing of the
sort available to me - it is a _re_write only in historical
perspective.

(What did I want in find?  I wanted an option (-path, I chose), like
-name but applied to the whole path, not just the last component.  I
wanted options like -name and -path except that they took fixed strings
rather than glob patterns.  I wanted more flexibility with -perm; I
implemented -perm xxx/yyy, which is true if st_mode&xxx == yyy.  I also
implemented more generality with -size and -[amc]time, though those
were lower priority.  And I implemented -print0.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu