Subject: Re: NCR Driver Problems
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley14.res.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 07:51:54
>Brad Walker writes:
>
>>> From: bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org (Christoph Badura)
>>> Except the buffer cache and the disksort routine are supposed to do
>>> that already.
>
>>But, they don't optimize for head actuator position.
>
>Huh?  That's what the disksort routine is supposed to take care of.

disksort routine??  i dont know quite what the best way is, but it seems
to me that this may also hurt performance on modern drives with variable
sectors/track.  i know my drive certainly is not as fast as i think it
should be, and makes very odd sounding seek patterns often.  they sound
much less than optimal...

-chris