Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 07:17:31
In article <9601221839.AA13450@vas.viewlogic.com>,
James Graham - Systems Mangler <greywolf@captech.com> wrote:
> A *week* for a kernel rebuild?  What platform out there takes a week to
> rebuild a kernel?  It sounds like something needs to be fixed somewhere
> in a _very_ major way.  Even under 4.3 BSD a VAX didn't take a week to
> rebuild the kernel, and this was an 11/750 -- a 640 KIPS machine.

NetBSD/vax on a 11/750 takes more than a week, from what I read a while
back on port-vax. Things to keep in mind: it may take longer than 4.3BSD
did because a) NetBSD source is larger, especially for GENERIC with NFS,
unionfs, etc, etc. b) gcc is a lot larger than older compilers, and on a
machine low on physram, that could be a big deal.

Also, someone recently reported that it took 28 hours to build a kernel
on their Sun 3/50 (4M ram). It was either diskless or running without
DMA (very roughly the same, I'd guess). Given that a 3/50 is noticeably
faster than an 11/750, a week for that machine doesn't seem out of the
realm of possibility.