Subject: Re: printcap, banners, and PostScript...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 12:21:39
is@Beverly.Rhein.DE writes:

>Michael van Elst (mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de) wrote:

>: Sure there is. Just take another couple of heuristics and magic number
>: evaluations.

>Hm... what about cleaning up your magical printing package and
>submitting it, e.g. as a package or an easyinstall thing, to the public?
>;-)

The problem is the easy installation. It still depends a bit on the
capabilities of your current awk version. No problem with NetBSD though.

For those that do not know: I have written a printer system. From a single
database it generates printcaps for a whole network and a printer filter
that automatically detects file types and runs the appropriate programs
for the printer type (usually ghostscript or some PNM tool). It supports
multiple queues for one printer but not one queue for multiple printers.
Here is an example of a definition file.

# printer definitions 24/04/95 mlelstv
#
%PRINTERS%
#
# lists all managed printers
#
# - alias(xxx)   is an alias name to be added to the printcap entry
# - class(xxx)   determines the printer filter
# - mode(xxx)    additional setting for the filter
# - port(xxx)    specifies the printer port
#

dj1
	alias(lp)
	alias(Deskjet 540)
	class(deskjet)
	mode(a4paper)
	port(serpens_par0)

%PORTS%
#
# definition of all printer "ports"
# each port identifies a physical connection to a printer
#
# each port has a class that defines the type of connection
# - class(tty) is a UNIX character device
#   - device(/dev/xxx) is the (file-)name of the port
#   - baud(nnnnn)      is an optional baudrate
#
# - class(rprint) is a port on an EMULEX printer server
#   - node(xxxxx)           is the IP address of the printer server
#   - tcpport(nnnn)         is the TCP port number of the server's port
#
# - class(tcp) is a HP printer connected to the Ethernet
#   - node(xxxxx)           is the IP address of the printer
#   - tcpport(nnnn)         is the TCP port number, usually 9100
#
# - class(ncd) is a printer connected to an NCD X-Terminal
#   - node(xxxxx)           is the IP address of the terminal
#
# each port has also an associated host that manages the port
# (spool area, printer filters, output)
#

serpens_par0
	class(tty)
	device(/dev/par0)
	host(serpens)

%HOSTS%
#
# each host has an associated ostype that defines the layout
# of the printcap entry
#
# for each host in the list a printcap file is generated
#
serpens
	ostype(netbsd)

Regards,