Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 19:32:00
According to David Gilbert:

>der> Heh.  Sit down at a VM/CMS machine and type ls.  Or a VMS box and
>der> type any of the find commands that have been bantered about.
>
>	However, the VMS box does have a way to specify a recursive
>form of glob so that ...
>
>search [.src...]*.c;* somestring
>
>	would perform what most have been talking about.  The three
>dots in the brackets (which specify directory) specify a recursive
>form of globbing.
>
>	That said, I'm not proud that I know this... more of a war
>wound.

I have a similar wound... the thing about the VMS globbing is that it
is not done by the CLI (VMS talk for your shell) but by the
application itself.  There is a standard set of library calls that
will do the globbing for you but if the person doesn't expect you to
use globbing then you are out of luck.  This means things like trying
to edit a file like "this_is_a_very_long_file_name" using a glob that
returns a unique name will not work (assuming the editor does not do
glob'ing - it probably does...)

Just don't get me started on I/O redirection... ok?? ;-)

This is getting a bit off track, if you want to follow up then do so
just to me....

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.