Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1996 01:47:47
>> >Where is limfree defined?
>>
>> find /usr/src/sys -name '*.c' -exec grep '^limfree' '{}' /dev/null \;
>

>I found this patch today on the FreeBSD hackers mailing list.  It patches
>the grep source to allow recursive searches.  Compared to the find method
>shown above, it is about 3-4x faster.

I don't much care for this patch, seeing that

        find /usr/src/sys -name '*.c' -print|xargs grep '^limfree'

works just fine for me (and giving xargs top-of-mind awareness is just a
good thing anyway, IMHO).

If you want to build recursion into grep, do it right, and do it so that
you can grep recursively in just files called '*.c'.

                                        -- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@playbeing.org        I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.