Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 10:53:45
#define AUTHOR "mrg@eterna.com.au (matthew green)"

/*
 *
 *    if you can't be bothered to learn something or read the
 *    manual, what the hell are you doing using UNIX?
 *
 * maybe someone wants a real operating system, knows unix, but, wants
 * some very commonly used idioms easily used.  typing:
 *
 * % find /local/src /usr/src <etc> -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -ni <pattern>
 *
 * is really annoying.  a smart shell script that would pass the find
 * args to find and the rest to grep would be, imo, better than the
 * C version -- without bloating grep.

You've just reinforced several very good points:

	- There is almost always more than one way to do something in UNIX.

	- A pipeline of robust commands will beat a frail C program.
	[not to be taken that C programs are frail by nature -- if we
	 didn't have good C programs, there would be no such thing
	 as a "robust pipeline"!]

	- Code bloat can almost always be avoided.  If you must bloat
	  code, make it handle as general a case as is possible.
	  Special casing code just makes it easier to break somewhere
	  down the road.

 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mrg@eterna.com.au (matthew green)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
thought:  I ain't so damb dumn! | Your brand new kernel just dump core on you
war: Invalid argument           | And fsck can't find inode 2