Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: Rob Quinn <rjq@phys.ksu.edu>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 14:18:36
On Jan 24,  8:39am, Rob Quinn wrote:
} >IMHO recursive chmod is worthless.  In general I don't want the same
} >permission bits on files and directories.
}
}  That's what +X is for (vs +x).

Cute!  I'd never seen that chmod option before.  Of course you're still
out of luck if someone has done a "chmod -R 0755" and you're trying
to undo the damage.

In any case, I can't let myself get in the habit of using chmod -R, since
I sometimes use HP-UX.  The HP-UX chmod understands -R, but with this option
it follows symlinks and I just can't risk chmod stumbling across a link to /
or anywhere else outside the tree that I'm trying to change the permissions
on.