Subject: Put big hunks of the Xserver in the kernel?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 18:38:41
Gordon W. Ross wrote (in his message from Wed 24)
 > [ Is the i386 Xserver SUID root, and why... ]

 > > > 1. Write a device driver for each different graphic board on the
 > > >    market (it should probably implement the mi level of the Xserver to
 > > >    be safe)
 > > > 2. Have XFree86 (and the other available servers) use them.
 > > >
 > Remember this old guidline:
 > If something does not need to be in the kernel for either functional
 > or performance reasons, then it should not be in the kernel.
 >
 > This guidline helps preserve system robustness, and makes debugging
 > much easier, among several other advantages...

I agree totally. But all SVGA boards are programmed through I/O
registers that cannot be left writable to the normal users since they
can be used to burn your monitor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that, in this situation, the
graphics primitves needed by the normal ASCII console and any graphics
program have to be done either by a setuid/setgid program or by the kernel
(perhaps in a LKM).

The current approach used by XFree86 is considered as ``broken''
by many, so I try to evaluate the alternatives.

					Matthieu