Subject: Re: Recursive grep (where is limfree defined?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 08:59:07
>>> why build unnecessary (and, in my opinion, dumb) functionality into
>>> grep?
>> Because everyone knows grep, but not everyone knows 'find xargs
>> grep'

But the grep people know isn't capable of recursive filesystem walks.
Not unless and until recursive greps become common across many Unices
will the grep "everyone knows" be a recursive grep.

> If you're going to port something, _port_ it.  Make it work
> EVERYwhere.

Heh.  Sit down at a VM/CMS machine and type ls.  Or a VMS box and type
any of the find commands that have been bantered about.

"EVERYwhere" just isn't possible.  One has to decide what degree of
portability one cares about.  Some people here don't seem to care about
anything but NetBSD/i386.  Others want code they can compile and run on
VMS and VxWorks and IRIX and MUSIC.  Most are somewhere in between.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu