Subject: Re: NCR Driver Problems
To: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1996 02:23:26
> The biggest win with tagged commands is that you can
> issue multiple commands to a target and have the target
> do the ordering. The target will do the ordering to
> optimize the operations as it's doing head seeks and
> crossing platters thus yielding a higher throughput
> and minimizing the time due to seeking..

Except the buffer cache and the disksort routine are supposed to do
that already.

It could well be that the target gets it wrong and the performance
gets worse.  There is a CSRG paper about such an experience with a
non-SCSI controller that did it's own ordering.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.