Subject: Re: sendmail 8.7.3, perl 5, bind 4.9.3 glitches
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1996 23:40:56
>To contribute to the BIND issues, I find some interesting problems with
>-current BIND.
>[...]
>and the resolver will automagically begin adding parts of the domain name
>beyond the unresolved point, i.e.
>
>	TRY	bar.foo.	...FAIL
>	TRY	bar.foo.baz.	...FAIL
>	TRY	bar.foo.baz.quux.	...OK
>
>Why is this now broken?

Check out the man page for resolv.conf(5), specifically the search option.

The big problem with the SunOS behaviour is that if you lose Internet
connectivity, local DNS lookups take a looong time, when they really
shouldn't.  At least with "search", you can specify the order.

(Although a little experimentation leads me to believe that the "default"
behavior specified in the man page doesn't work)

--Ken