Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1996 12:47:06

matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

>who is 'most' ?  i've never run X as setuid root.

	I must have missed the original architecture type somewhere ..
is this on an i386 or no?

	If so ...

 #define I386_SPECIFIC_ALERT

	'Most' is most of the people who install X from the XF86 install
tarballs (the tarballs install 'most' of the servers at mode 4755).

	I didn't think the XServers would *work* when not suid root; in fact,
a quick chmod on my machine reveals that XF86_S3 can't open a virtual console
w/o being suid.

 #undef I386_SPECIFIC_ALERT

	I assume this isn't i386 specific, because I'd hate to think that
some of these X functions could be performed by just any userid.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group