Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1996 11:45:42
>> Personally, it's nice to be able to frob things at runtime.  But if
>> I'm going to reboot, I really don't see all that much difference
>> between bashing on /etc/system or bashing on
>> /sys/arch/foobox/conf/PICKLE; the major difference is the time
>> taken, which usually is not that much of a factor.

(Someone noted that some NetBSD machines can take _days_ to rebuild the
kernel; that much time _would_ be a factor.  I didn't think NetBSD ran
on the 8080.... :-)

> what if this machine _doesn't_ have a /sys or a cc ?

Then you can't do this, of course.  To my mind, a machine without cc is
a bit like a machine without ls: it's something that one can construct
plausible scenarios for wanting, but it's also removed a sufficiently
essential part that you can't expect such a machine to be fully
functional.  /sys is similar: you can remove it, and some people will
want to, but you'll lose the ability to do certain kinds of things if
you do.  Removing /sys will break fewer things than removing cc, which
will break fewer than removing ls, but the basic principle remains:
blow away /sys and you've just chosen to give up the ability to do
certain kinds of reconfiguration.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu