Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: Michael Graff <jaywon!flame.org!explorer@life.ai.mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <pci!jaywon!dgilbert@life.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1996 12:15:23
>>>>> "Michael" == "Michael Graff" <explorer@flame.org> writes:

Michael> Why not BOTH?  Make the default just like it is now, but
Michael> provide a way to override it at compile time and a sysctl to
Michael> set it?

Michael> That would get both cases, and isn't going to be THAT much
Michael> more work.

	Before someone runs of and implements this, remember that
every instruction generated in this piece of code is run at each
scheduling interupt.  There is an incredible cost to everything that
you do here.  For someone who doesn't want this feature, I would
definately want it to be #ifdef'd out.

	To keep things in perspective, a certain compute intensive,
statically linked fortran program runs a whole 15% faster on NetBSD
than on SunOS 4.1.4.  We're talking about the same binary, here, and
the same machine.  To me, that difference is staggering.  I woul dlike
to keep it as large as possible.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |