Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1996 05:55:05
In article <9601171913.AA29355@vas.viewlogic.com>,
James Graham - Systems Mangler <greywolf@captech.com> wrote:
> At any rate, it certainly avoids the autonice problem.  Someone mentioned
> that it should be a run-time parameter.  I disagree -- compile-time seems
> fine, since if a mortal user needs to renice their program to a lower
> priority for whatever reason, it's do-able...

On some platforms supported by NetBSD, rebuilding the kernel can take
more than a week.  There's no excuse for forcing people to suffer that
unnecessarily (or making them figure out what to recompile by hand,
because the makefile's aren't 100% reliable for ensuring everything gets
built right) for a change that can so easily be made a run-time
decision.  There's just no excuse for hard coding something when it can
be made a run-time decision with so little impact, IMHO.

"compile time is fine" isn't enough of a criteria, it's "run-time isn't
fine, because [...]"