Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1996 23:08:57
>> option AUTORENICE=10 # (minutes)
>
>Why not a sysctl? Let the default value be 600, and if you don't want
>it, set it to an extremely high value.  Or better, have the sysctl
>get/set code for that variable make a set of 0 mean ULONG_MAX, and read
>ULONG_MAX as 0.  I don't see a good reason why this would have to be a
>compile-time option, so better to make it run-time settable.

Why not BOTH?  Make the default just like it is now, but provide a
way to override it at compile time and a sysctl to set it?

That would get both cases, and isn't going to be THAT much more work.

I assume this would allow overriding of both the time before nice
kicks in and the nice level assigned.  It would be interesting to put
a multiple level thing in there, but that's almost a feeping
creaturism.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!