Subject: Re: ccdconfig and newfs
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1996 15:24:05
> This means you probably have used the "first cylinder" of each disk and
> newfs is seeing the raw disklabel of the first disk. The FFS file system
> has a way of now trashing the disk label - maybe ccd should be changed
> in a similar way. I am sure Jason thought about this at the time and there
> must have been a good reason to not do this.

you don't necessarily want the 'ccd' disklabel and normal disk
disklabels to live in the same place, anyway.

for instance, consider the case where you want to have a ccd striped
across _parts_ of multiple disks, i.e. half of the first disk, half of
the second disk, etc., and have file systems on the other halves.
if you want the parts used by the 'ccd' to be the first ones on the
disk (i.e. overlapping the disklabel area), and ccd writes disklabels
in the normal label area, your configuration will break in _Very_
strange ways.

much better to just say "don't overlap disklabel area."

I think you _should_ be able to use the raw partitions on disks that
have no native disklabels, though, e.g. buy two new disks, slap a ccd
on their raw partitions...  That _should_ work, because (since there
are no disklabels on the disks) there would be no conflict.  However,
it may not work because of ccd's component type checking (which, if it
doesn't work in this case, is broken 8-).

chris