Subject: Should SVR4 dynamically-linked executables work?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1996 02:42:55
I have another machine under my desk now that's running Solaris 2.5.  I have
a NetBSD kernel with all the COMPAT options in.  Linux executables seem to
work. The last time I tried it, SCO executables worked.  The statically-linked
/sbin/sh from Solaris works, too.  But the dynamically-linked /usr/bin/sh
from Solaris does *not* work -- instead, I get "sh: Exec Format Error.
Wrong Architecture."  If I try to run it under ktrace -- which works for
Linux binaries -- ktrace seems to try to feed it to the shell; I get a
complaint about '1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected.'

Should this work?

If not, why?  I know I need the shared libraries, but this seems more basic.

Thor