Subject: Re: sound blaster 16 help
To: None <jeff.bates@tad.cetlink.net>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 10:18:59
>From: Jeffrey Wheat <jeff.bates@tad.cetlink.net>
>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 15:25:22 -0500 (EST)

>	Is there a FAQ available for help on configuring SB16 cards under
>NetBSD-current? I have one installed and can't seem to figure out how to
>get it to work. I have in my kernel:
>
>sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1	# SoundBlaster
>
>I have verified the settings on the card to match. When I boot I see:
>
>sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v4.13
>
>When I try and access the card via /dev/audio or /dev/sound, I get a message:
>/dev/sound: Device not configured.
>/dev/audio: Device not configured.

The audio device's major/minor numbers haven't changed in a long time,
but you may want to 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV audio' and see if that helps.

Another thing to try is to add the line

options		AUDIO_DEBUG

to your kernel config, then reconfigure and rebuild your kernel.
You should then see a message something like

audio: device 0 attached

immediately after the 'sb0 at isa0...' message.  If you don't, then
it's a bug in the SB driver.  If you do, then it's a bug in the audio
driver.  Use DDB to enable the debugging printfs and dig in. :-/
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel