Subject: Re: Autonice bugging my but!
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 16:13:30
>Someone mentioned setting the X server (or whatever) to a negative nice
>value.  Using xdm, you can do just that -- I renice mine to -15.

This is totally unnecessary.  The autonicer doesn't renice any
processes running as root.  Most people install their X servers setuid
root, by default, so this is not a problem (i. e. they'll never get
autoniced).

>Typically the server itself doesn't take all that much CPU under "normal" use.
>But I have found that renicing the server as such will improve the response
>time of the entire session.

Sure it does.  I have processes running that constantly output stuff
in small chunks, non-stop, all day, every day.  Although each
individual spurt of activity is very small, my server accumulates
several hundred minutes of CPU time per day.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...