Subject: Re: printcap, banners, and PostScript...
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 10:15:56
> > 1. Make a printer filter text into postscript, but leave postscript alone.
> This is not possible without resorting to human help; PostScript _is_

I guess that's why TransScript sells so well then :-)

The standard trick is to assume that a postscript file will begin with
at least a %! comment. Some go as far as expecting %!PS-Adobe-## but
one should really only do that if one is doing explicit processing
based on the Adobe Structuring Conventions.

> occasion wanted to print _exactly the same file_ twice, once as text
> and once interpreted as a PostScript program.

Then you either insert an extra leading newline to defeat the filter,
or your run "enscript" or clones thereof or "a2ps" on it yourself. An
alternative is to have seperate queues that "always filter" or "never
filter" but really, if you have *users* on your system, you don't want
them to be able to print postscript as raw text without trying
*really* hard :-)

> > 2. Disable banners.

Read the printcap man page; there's a single boolean token for it,
last I checked (which I'll admit was 4.3BSD for VAXen but it's not
like printcap is a hot research topic :-)

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens