Subject: Re: printcap, banners, and PostScript...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: 51482) <etorwi@etn.ericsson.se (Raymond A. Wiker>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 10:36:13
der Mouse writes:
 > > I want to know how to:
 > > 1. Make a printer filter text into postscript, but leave postscript alone.
 >
 > This is not possible without resorting to human help; PostScript _is_
 > text (at least until you get into Level 2 binary encoding and such,
 > which I assume is not what you're talking about).  Indeed, I have on
 > occasion wanted to print _exactly the same file_ twice, once as text
 > and once interpreted as a PostScript program.

	How about just looking at the first few characters of the
file? If they are "%!PS-Adobe" (or possibly just "%!PS" or even "%!"),
possibly preceded by a Ctl-D as emitted by certain brain-dead
applications/drivers. This is the strategy used by Sun's printer
drivers, among others. You also need a flag to lpr to indicate that
the file should be printed as text, *even* if it contains the "%!PS"
magic.

 > > 2. Disable banners.
 >
 > No idea.

	Normally a "-h" flag (to get rid of the "burst page"...)

	//Raymond.