Subject: Re: printcap, banners, and PostScript...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 14:26:37
der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> writes:

>> I want to know how to:
>> 1. Make a printer filter text into postscript, but leave postscript alone.

>This is not possible without resorting to human help; PostScript _is_
>text (at least until you get into Level 2 binary encoding and such,
>which I assume is not what you're talking about).

Well. Since people very rarely want to print Postscript files as text
and real text very rarely starts with %! there is no problem to use
this as a magic number.

>Indeed, I have on
>occasion wanted to print _exactly the same file_ twice, once as text
>and once interpreted as a PostScript program.

The easiest solution is to ask the users to use a page formatting
program like 'pr' if they want to print Postscript source as text.

>> 2. Disable banners.
>No idea.

The :sh: in the printcap option to supress headers.

Regards,
--
                                Michael van Elst

Internet: mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de