Subject: Re: printcap, banners, and PostScript...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Carsten Hammer <chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1996 14:14:36

> > I want to know how to:
> > 1. Make a printer filter text into postscript, but leave postscript alone.
>
> This is not possible without resorting to human help; PostScript _is_
> text (at least until you get into Level 2 binary encoding and such,
> which I assume is not what you're talking about).  Indeed, I have on
> occasion wanted to print _exactly the same file_ twice, once as text
> and once interpreted as a PostScript program.

I have installed apsfilter on my NetBSD-Amiga and had set it up for
converting postscript files automatically with ghostscript to pcl and
leaving text allone. This all works transparent by using lpr.
The user doesnt see anything of the conversion going on. Only the load of
course goes up:)

Of course you're right that postscript is ascii but file seems to recognize
it most of time (it is used by apsfilter).

> > 2. Disable banners.
>
> No idea.

man printcap

you mean to switch of bannerpages like by the -h option of lpr?
Dont remember (no netbsd reachable) but i switched it of in /etc/printcap.