Subject: Re: is load average reported correctly??
To: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley14.res.iastate.edu>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1996 09:52:57
   hi, i was just wondering if the load avg is reported correctly in current.
   i am curious, because for some reason, my load avg is constantly at about
   .10 or so, whether i have 2 or 75 processes.  if this is so, does this not
   mean that the system is using 10% of my cpu time even when idle?  if so,
   why?  most systems that i have used are usually at 0.00 when idle..

load average isn't the percentage of cpu used.  use something like
vmstat or top to look for that.  load average is "the average number
of processes in a runable state" based over some period of time.
chris fixed the load average calculation some time ago -- which made
it "seem" higher  :-)

.mrg.