Subject: Re: shutdown/wall messages
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@pine.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1996 20:12:00
>  Sorry to flog a potentially dead horse, but I'd recently noticed (while
>trying to investigate this shutdown stuff for the original poster, my
>advisor), that mountd's MOUNTPROC_DUMP list is not always up-to-date or
>correct.  For example, one time it listed 3 hosts, even though there were

The problem you are seeing most likely results from the NFS server
having rebooted or mountd being restarted since the hosts in question
made their mount requests.

It is almost impossible for a stateless system like NFS to be able to
know for sure just how many clients it actually has at any point in
time.

The same thing happens when you change your exports file - systems
that have already mounted you read/write will continue to have
read/write access even though the export is now read only.

--sjg