Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1996 20:33:23
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, J.T. Conklin wrote:

> One advantage I like is that executables that use procfs instead of
> groveling around kernel structs tend to continue to work even though
> kernel internals have been changed.  The same is true for debuggers
> that use /procfs (although I understand our procfs isn't up to that
> task).

One thing aboul linux I like is the abillity to check some of the basic
networking stuff without all programs available. Since we have /usr
nfs-mounted I had quite a hard time finding out why my new routes failed.
It turned out the router configuration was in error, but verifying my own
setup took some time. Under linux I could have just mounted /proc and
looked through the networking setup.

Some say such features don't belong in the kernel, and that it is just
bloat. IMHO the small additional size of the kernel is worth the gain.

Peter Svensson