Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: der Mouse <mouse@COLLATZ.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1996 16:07:58
> But this is unlikely to ever be the case with the suggestion that
> started all this, which was to put something in kernfs which was the
> kernel as it appeared on-disk before boot.  I somehow doubt this would
> ever go into sysctl.

And, i doubt that it would ever go into kernfs (and hope not, as
well).

Think about what it would require to do this.

You'd do it one of two ways:
	(1) keep some type of pointer (symlink, vnode reference,
	    whatever) around to the kernel,
	(2) keep a virgin copy of the whole kernel in core.

Think about the completely nasty hacks that would be required to do
_either_, and also realize that you can't even _do_ the former
reliably (because the kernel may not exist on any disk you have access
to!).

chris