Subject: `sys_errlist' in `stdio.h'
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Peakall <alan@parsys.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1996 12:28:04
Hi,

    I would like to query the wisdom of having the declaration

#if !defined(_POSIX_SOURCE) && !defined(_ANSI_SOURCE)
.  .  .
extern const char *const sys_errlist[];
#endif

in the header file `stdio.h'.  It seems to me that this presents no
gain to ``new'' code because it should be using `strerror(3)' rather than
`sys_errlist', while posing a gratuitous problem for ``old'' code which
won't know about `const' and will thus get a compilation error when it
declares `sys_errlist' for itself.  This argument suggests that the
`const' keywords should be dropped from this declaration.

- alan