Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1996 06:16:03
>It'd also provide a place to put something like a /kern/dev directory,
>where lkm (auto?-)loaded drivers, which may be at different major (even
>minor?) device numbers at different times could register device nodes.
>I'm not suggesting that EVERY driver necessarily do that, like
>you-know-who, but for at least some types of drivers it'd be really
>handy.

Why not?  Having a /dev which configures itself sounds like a handy
feature to me.

>Also, I would like to see a /kern/systype entry and kern.systype sysctl
>with an AFS-compatible system name (i386_nbsd11, etc) *EVEN IF* we never
>get @names in the filesystem. It's still useful for other things, and
>it's nice to have readily availible.

I still want to have @sys processing.  But naming the different archs
now would simplify many things, like having a common name for
installation programs to use.  This should also be sysctl gettable, so
/kern isn't needed to get the standard system name.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!