Subject: Re: kernel & libkvm [was IIci success]
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 21:24:26
> My thought is that they look at /netbsd when they want the real kernel
> (when we're looking at the live kernel). But isn't the real kernel
> in RAM at that time? Isn't all the info that was in the disk-version of
> the running kernel still in RAM?

On the mac68k port, yes.  For other ports, not necessarily.  For the
mac68k, it would be reasonable to not keep it all around.  The parts
in question are the string-list and symbol table (for a.out executables,
anyway).  These are not useful for a running system to have in memory
unless ddb with symbol information is needed.  At least, that's the only
use that I'm aware of.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **