Subject: Re: union fs (was xntpd)
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 13:57:33
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> <Using unionfs for creating packages>
> > I like it :)
>
> I guess i'd like it too, but it's not in NetBSD/amiga V1.1 (as i think i've
> pointed out before). And it's *releases* that i want as a (primary) target for
> packages, not -current, so i'm afraid union-fs is no option here. :-(

?? I agree that there's no UNIONFS (sp?) option in the default config,
and that IMHO it should be there (even if just commented out), but I bet
the code's working for the amiga.

When I upgraded to 1.1, I ran into this very problem. I decided to make my
source tree a union mount of the origonal 1.1 stuff, and my changes in a
seperate tree. I had to compile a kernel w/ union filesystems turned on,
and it all worked.

And, as I understand it, the union fs idea would only be needed for the
package creator, not the installer. Thus not everyone has to have union fs's.

Take care,

Bill