Subject: packages (was Re: xntpd)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 15:00:47
>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 13:35:44 +0100
>From: "Jesus M. Gonzalez" <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
>
>>A little ingenuity helps.  For instance, anything that uses GNU
>>autoconf lets you select the installation directory prefix.  All you
>>have to do is create an empty /tmp/pkg,
>>
>>make install prefix=/tmp/pkg
>>(cd /tmp/pkg; find . -type f -print) > package.pkg
>>
>>and you're mostly there.
>
>	That's right, and quite useful. But sometimes you have some
>harwired paths wich depend on the prefix you choose.

That's why in my example the prefix was specified as an argument to
'make install'.  Configure and build the package with the real prefix
(e.g. /usr/local/...), but use /tmp/pkg as the prefix for
installation.  The hardwired paths will be correct.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel