Subject: Re: xntpd
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 13:35:44
>A little ingenuity helps.  For instance, anything that uses GNU
>autoconf lets you select the installation directory prefix.  All you
>have to do is create an empty /tmp/pkg,
>
>make install prefix=/tmp/pkg
>(cd /tmp/pkg; find . -type f -print) > package.pkg
>
>and you're mostly there.

	That's right, and quite useful. But sometimes you have some
harwired paths wich depend on the prefix you choose. Thats why I
usually choose the *real* place (for me /usr/local/install/foo-2.3)
when installing a package. With respect to the "find", yes, it's
also useful. But ir will be more convenient (from my point of view)
if that were available as a *.pkg comand (I use @expand_dir for
that in the script that generates the "true" *.pkg file).

>John Kohl sent me the makefile below; I've used it as a starting point
>to create the packages I've uploaded:

	It was very useful for me too. Anyway, I'm too lazy, and
I'll prefer some front-end (maybe Tk based) wich prompte you
for a LEGAL or README or whatever file, and generate the
*.pkg file, and run pkg_create, etc. I think that way
more people could be interested in building packages.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona         | addr.:  c/ Butarque, 15
Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones |         28911 Leganes, Spain