Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/1996 10:02:10
> Now, as to why no one is contributing packages? I don't know. I have some
> suspicions though:
>
> a) BETSI certificates, while probably a good idea, provided that little
> bit of extra non-incentive because it was "yet another thing to have to
> figure out" on my already growing list of "things to figure out one day".

Actually its more than that.  When I looked (ages ago) at the BETSI
home page to see what the procedure was... part of their verification
process was that you had to give them a phone number that they could
call you on _and_ find in a phone book (in the U.S.)  This is quite
reasonable and sure beats a personal visit.  However not only do I
not have a phone number listed in a U.S. phone book - I don't even
have a listed number here.  (Note everyone wants operators to be able
to try ringing them at 4am :-)

So BETSI certs are not an option for many of us.

--sjg