Subject: Re: xntpd
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 19:17:00
Jonathan Stone wrote:
>Putting it in the source tree would mean the binaries get into binary
>distributions, for those who *do* want to run it.

However, xntpd includes DES code of some sort and the authors think it
falls under the export controls.

There are also some configuration issues with the daemon regarding
reference clocks.

This would be an ideal candidate for a  "ports collection" ala
FreeBSD, IMHO.

>The issue I really wanted to address was the ntp_adjtime() syscall
>which was *not* in the NetBSD kernel last time I looked, even as an
>option.

Just before Christmas I did a quick and dirty port of the FreeBSD
ntp_adjtime() syscall to 1.1.  However, that syscall is completely
useless without the kernel PLL.  I ported that too, upgrading to the
latest PLL code from louie.  The only problem is that I get a very
different clock drift depending on whether I run with the kernel PLL
or without.  I was about to ask David Mills about that.

If Core is interested in incorporating the code I'm happy to clean up
my port and submit it.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.