Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@SigmaSoft.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 01:02:08
> In message <199601020805.AAA01226@gandalf.sigmasoft.com>Thorsten Lockert writes
> >Considering that xntpd compiles out-of-the-box for NetBSD, I don't
> >really see any reason for putting it into the source tree.  Far from
> >everyone is interested in running it...
>
> Putting it in the source tree would mean the binaries get into binary
> distributions, for those who *do* want to run it. I would be happy
> with it being a package, except it wouldn't get compile for all
> NetBSD ports, we don't have a cute package-installation tool, etc., etc.

True.  With a better package installer and a setup where one could get
a package compiled for all existing ports would be really neat!

> The issue I really wanted to address was the ntp_adjtime() syscall
> which was *not* in the NetBSD kernel last time I looked, even as an
> option.  I guess I'm a time vulture. I find high-quality time
> synchronization invaluable for performance measurement and tuning of
> networking code.

Now, having ntp_adjtime(2) support is something I really would like too
(being one of those that _do_ use NTP syncronization).

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.:
1238B Page Street       | hostmaster@sigmasoft.com |         The problem.