Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@SigmaSoft.COM>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 00:58:15
In message <199601020805.AAA01226@gandalf.sigmasoft.com>Thorsten Lockert writes

>Considering that xntpd compiles out-of-the-box for NetBSD, I don't
>really see any reason for putting it into the source tree.  Far from
>everyone is interested in running it...

Putting it in the source tree would mean the binaries get into binary
distributions, for those who *do* want to run it. I would be happy
with it being a package, except it wouldn't get compile for all
NetBSD ports, we don't have a cute package-installation tool, etc., etc.

The issue I really wanted to address was the ntp_adjtime() syscall
which was *not* in the NetBSD kernel last time I looked, even as an
option.  I guess I'm a time vulture. I find high-quality time
synchronization invaluable for performance measurement and tuning of
networking code.

--Jonathan