Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 08:33:47
> I'd personally like to see xntp in the NetBSD source tree.  The sparc
> and pmax ports, for instance have lower latency and/or higher
> resolution gettimeofday() code than, say, SunOS or Ultrix; but last
> time I looked, the NetBSD kernel didn't have the adjtime() support
> that ntp used to prefer.

Ditto. timed is (in this day and age of the 'net) a steaming heap
of donkey droppings. Thanks you for allowing me to say that.

xntp3.4y compile and installs out of the box (after a make
Config.no.local.Clock or whatever) on i386 and sparc at least. Just
remember to run ntpdate in rc.local at boot time.

The one things that *would* however be nice to see amongst all these
external "utilities" (such as named, gated, xntpd etc) would be a
unified type of gdc/ndc/xntpdc etc. Nice add ons - shame about no
consistency. This is where I think the integration aspects come into
their own. (Oh know - another thread about how to start and stop
individual system services coming on).

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org