Subject: Re: gcc 2.7.2 in NetBSD-current
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 01:48:10
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> Chris Hopps checked in changes to groff and libg++ to make them
Jason> compile with 2.7.2 until they get updated in our tree.  If
Jason> you're using an i386, you should be ok...

Although I'm glad this has now been handled, I note they were coming
from a new PR (1859?).  Essentially the same patches was in 1557.
Even though this is a volunteer project much too many PRs just never
get analyzed.  Esp. when people are afraid of developper-drainage it
*is* important to make runs through the PR database once in a while.
Today I did a search for John Kohl's non-closed kern-PRs just because
I remembered seeing some unionfs fixes.  I was stunned seeing 20 PRs
not handled by a single person...  That prolly scares people doing PRs,
it certainly scares me.  Anyway it's very good that GNATS is there,
and that there's a web query engine for it, that way people can pick
out the pieces anyway without needing to do double work (as was done
now) if they remember to search for fixes before jumping on the
hacking part themselves.

Sorry, if this sounds like a flame.  It wasn't meant to be, but rather
constructive criticism.  I surely don't say I have the time to go
through the PR database...  And yes, I felt a little like "why did I
bother to send-pr that thing, when noone ever took notice of it?"...

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist       Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 95
Applitron Datasystem   Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 96
Molndalsvagen 95       Email: niklas@appli.se     GSM:  +46-(0)70-714 10 35
S-412 63  GOTEBORG     WWW:   Here
Sweden		       IRC:   niklas (#NetBSD)    ICB:  niklas (netbsd)