Subject: anyone using nsswitch, or would like it `in the tree'?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 12:07:16
A while ago I released an alpha of my nsswitch code(*). I've received a
bit of positive feedback on it, but I have a couple of questions
regarding the release of it:

- would it be more useful if I "tracked" my changes against
  NetBSD-current instead of just the -1.1 sources.

- would people use it if it was in the tree, or have any great
  objections (+) to the code in general for me to send-pr it to be
  included when it's out of -alpha. Style or code hints from -core
  on what would make it easier to get added to the tree would be
  appreciated.

If it is incorporated, I'd push to get BIND 4.9.3 in the tree too
(it has been officially released, ftp.vix.com:/pub/bind/release),
because that allows Hesiod server functionality...

(*) for those not in the know, it is an implementation of
    /etc/nsswitch.conf (/etc/svc.conf for ULTRIX & OSF/1 hackers)
    that allows you to configure the order of lookups for things like
    hosts, passwd, group, from sources such as local files, DNS, YP,
    etc. If the config file is corrupt or missing, it defaults to
    local files (a good failsafe)

(+) objections based purely on "it sucks, the `+' in the passwd file
    method is better, nyah nyah" >/dev/null. I don't care about you
    luddites, and you can get that behaviour anyway by specifying
    "compat" as the source.

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>

"Think of it as Evolution in Action"      -- `Oath of Fealty', Niven & Pournelle