Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/01/1996 23:23:40
On Fri, 29 Dec 1995 Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu wrote:

> You both are missing an important use of fixed-bit-width types:
>
> On-disk data structures.

I think Christoph's "external data representations" encompasses that, and
of course you are correct for some useful cases (e.g. db files, as you
mention).  In those cases, however, there's more than just using a
fixed-width integral type...

To put it another way, I believe the number of uses of the intNN_t types
is (and should be) of use in a relatively small number of cases, and
always by explicit design.  Using them for things other than external
data (from the program's perspective) should be actively discouraged.
Learning to code with a minimum of assumptions will produce much better
code in the long run, IMO.

--scott