Subject: Re: IIci success/q's and a bug
To: None <barthetc@ibs.uscs.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1995 15:24:48
> Question) I kind of skipped the updating /etc thread because they
> seemed to be talking about startup and shutdown scripts. When I
> installed 1.1, I skipped /etc hoping to that a piece at a time but
> I found I could not login this way. What happened? What is the best
> way to save my /etc customizations the next time there is an upgrade?

I came up from a recent -current, so I had fewer changes. I just
renamed /etc to /etc_old, installed the new /etc, and looked
at the things which had changed since the origonal install. I
pretty much copied them over verbatim.

> Question) I noticed that savecore reported the following error:
> "savecore can't fine device 0/0" What does this mean? Is it something
> I should worry about?
>
> Problem) netstat -r returns "netstat: kvm_read kvm_read: Bad address"
> netstat -a returns:
> ???
> ???
> ???
> I saw this posted before but never saw any response.

They're related. The file /netbsd is not your current kernel. A number
of programs, and libkvm, access /netbsd to learn what's going on
in the kernel. If /netbsd isn't the active kernel, they look in the
wrong place. :-(

So if you make /netbsd the current kernel, you'll be set.

Take care,

Bill