Subject: Re: PCI Motherboards & cache
To: None <ggm@connect.com.au>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1995 22:38:46
>Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 09:14:53 +1100
>From: George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>

>had to disable my onboard cache to get NetBSD to run.
>its a MP5-TRI from PCPartner. triton chipset.
>
>I have jumper options to control:
>
>	L1 cache protocol (write back (default) or write through)

Try setting this one to write-through, and see if that helps.
Write-back caching will fail in the presence of bus masters other than
the CPU unless the motherboard has implemented cache coherency
properly.  Cache coherency protocols are nontrivial, so they may have
done it wrongly.

>	L2 cache size (0,256,512 (selected)

Make sure this matches the amount of cache SRAM you have installed;
but if this setting is incorrect, I don't see how anything would
work.

>Is there a lucid description of whats going on here online anywhere?

Take a University course on high-performance computer architecture.
I can provide some book titles on the subject, if such are desired.

>compile options to get cache used properly?

There are options for Cyrix 486DLC motherboards, but they won't help
you--you have a Pentium.

>(behavior was crash on panic during system startup)

Did the kernel print any messages?
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel