Subject: Re: Config uucp?
To: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/1995 08:21:14
>>>>> "Terry" == Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com> writes:

Terry> I think that, like SunOS, NetBSD really is looking in /etc/uucp
Terry> for its uucp setup information.  After my install, /etc came
Terry> pre-filled with an empty uucp directory (sic).  That is where
Terry> I've put everything myself, and things work.  I believe that
Terry> the config stuff (in /usr/src/gnu/...  libexec/uucp) compiles
Terry> /etc/uucp into the executables.

	/etc/uucp is odd, but I'll try it.  I suppose it makes sense.

Terry> Taylor uucp works pretty well, but there were a number of
Terry> patches and adjustments requried in the auxiliary and support
Terry> scripts.  You really need a place to start if you're not a uucp
Terry> wizard.  I think Simon G. posted a bunch of his uucp scripts
Terry> sometime in the past.  I've got stuff working here, and can
Terry> post my scripts (which include all the usual maintenance
Terry> scripts); but I'm not as careful as Simon is, and I reckon that
Terry> his stuff, if available, will be more robust.

	As far as I know, the uucp included is Taylor... if for no
other reason than 'uucp --version' responds as expected.

Terry> One thing that is essential, if you want to use a dialin line
Terry> for dialout as well, is a solution to the uugetty problem.
Terry> Several people have posted fixes.  I've got a getty -> uugetty
Terry> patch file, but I've not brought it forward to NetBSD 1.1 yet,
Terry> and don't know how big the differences are.

	I've also been tinkering with HylaFax... which I assume has
some form of 'uugetty' included.  I've also got a 16 port serial card
for my sparc --- so I'm going to be writing my own driver (with an eye
to making it work well with uucp and ppp).  I was figuring that I'd be
making the two-device style driver (one in, one out), but maybe not...

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |