Subject: LKM's for some file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1995 06:10:30
As an experiment, I have worked a few hours on making some small
portions of the kernel into loadable modules.  So far, I have kernfs,
procfs, and msdosfs done.  I plan on adding others, including some
devices, as time permits.  However, I thought others might be
interested in seeing what I have so far.

It was really _very_ simple to make these, so this is nothing
spectacular.  Just something to keep from having to recompile just to
add msdosfs support to a machine.  ;)

To try this:

1)  get ftp://ftp.flame.org/pub/netbsd/lkm.tar.gz

2)  untar it somewhere.  It will create a subdirectory called lkm and
    all extracted files will go in it. (I use /usr/src, but that may
    be a bad place)

3)  follow the directions in lkm/README

Please mail me suggestions, and (especially) fixes and more modules.
Once I think this is clean enough, I'll send it in as a send-pr and
see what happens.  :)

One question which still needs to be resolved is where should these
*.o LKM's be installed?  I'd think /usr/lkm would be a good idea, with
the output (modload's -o option) in /var/run/lkm or something like
that.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!