Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 17:38:18
Scott Reynolds said:
> By lowering the intelligence
> required to administer the system, you open a wider door to the very real
> threat of trojans.  I'm not yet convinced that this is a Good Thing...

Lowering the intelligence _required_ to administer the system doesn't
necessarily mean lowering the intellegence _allowed_ when
administering the system.

Any careful systerm adminitrator, when installing packages from
untrusted sources, is going to look at them first and see what they
do, what they install, etc.

A random user who's getting a package is relatively unlikely to want
to do that, and may not even be meaningfully able to.

installing startup scripts via /etc/rc requires more work to be done.
installing startup scripts into an 'init.d' doesn't require that
more work _not_ be done.

chris