Subject: Re: Future of TCP/IP?
To: Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@altair.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 09:57:06
> > I think this is one of the main concerns adressed by IPv6. I really
> > don't know anything about the details of IPv6 or whether NetBSD has
> > plans to support IPv6 but I do know that it introduces larger address
> > space.
>
> 	That's why I asked here about it. I was wanting to know how
> NetBSD is planning to support IPv6 into it.

	As classless networks become the norm the pressure on vendors
	to provide IPv6 is lessening. Especially with alot of businesses
	using the IETF reserved nets behind firewalls it is slowing down the
	consumption of networks noticably.

	It might take alot longer than most people believe for vendors to
	break down and provide IPv6. While this wouldn't necessarily prevent
	NetBSD from doing it, you'd only be able to use it with other
	NetBSD systems and would have to use IP-IP to get past core routers
	that don't speak IPv6.

	Just some musings,

		-Rob