Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@OBAN.DSSC.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 04:55:56
>> Whenever a change is made to /etc/localconfig, a program called
>> /usr/sbin/genrc is run to generate a new /etc/rc.  This /etc/rc is
>> completely machine generated, but contains the config-file blurb for
>[...]
>
>I like this by far the best of anything suggested.

I think i like it the _least_, actually.

either you add more programs to / to enable you to reconfigure you rc
environment, or you _can't_ do it w/o mounting /usr.  which is a big
lose -- you may not have /usr exactly because the rc scripts are
hosed.

also, i do NOT want to be running a script or program my startup files
that can possibly reorder them.

I do not want to _have_ to do anything other than drop a new init file
into a directory, and have it do the right thing.

If you folks really think that the ordering problem _is_ a problem in
normal use, then provide a tool that people can use to solve it.  but
don't say that that tool _has_ to be used, and don't encourage use of
that tool on a normal basis.

I don't want to even take the _chance_ that installing JoeBob's
package to potentially reorder all of my rc scripts, since it had some
bogus dependencies.

chris